Today I had the great pleasure of speaking at the Diversified Agriculture Conference in Layton, Utah.
I met so many nice farmers and ranchers, it was my pleasure to discuss one of my favorite subjects: Social Media!
Below is my Prezi and I made a SWEET handout which is downloadable in PDF format. I've also included my talking points:
• This is what we all have in common: Farmers, Hippies, City Slickers, Urban Cowboys
• However, views are distorted because Ag is so removed from consumers
Is There a Disconnect Between Consumers & Farmers?
• Farmers are now <2% of the population
• Does the average consumer know where their food comes from?
• Who’s got some funny stories?
• Homer Simpson Video on: bacon, pork chops & ham
• See how far Ag has come over the years with Monsanto Video
• Without The Farmer…There Is No Food!
• If you’re not in it for the money, why do it?
• Farmers work because of: Tradition, Passion, Fun & Price in feeding the world
What’s the Issue?
• There is currently a BATTLE for INFLUENCE on the Internet
• Most of Ag does not even know it’s going on because they’re so busy PRODUCING everyone’s food
• Right now Ag is the Silent Minority
• These groups have an AGENDA: Peta, Humane Society, Greenpeace, Farm Sanctuary, Sierra Club
• They have great POWER & INFLUENCE online throughout social media forums.
• But do they see the big picture? Think about horse harvesting laws?
• They are controlling the image of Ag & making it harder for Ag to feed the world
Is Social Media a Fad?
• So what if Anti-Ag groups are big in Social Media?
• Does this really matter?
• Is it a bubble? Will it go away?
Social Media Stats
• FYI: It’s here to stay
• BTW: the world is going MOBILE
• If you disagree, throw your cell phone in the trash on your way out because Facebook reached 50M users 3x faster than cell phones did
• Social Media is now the “Great Equalizer”
• This is how Obama won the Whitehouse in 2008 & how his campaign raised over $750M to defeat Clinton and McCain
• This is how Obama will raise $1B in 2012
• Liken Social Media adoption unto adoption of Telegraph: LINCOLN vs. LEE
• TV & Newspapers are losing their footing, struggling to adapt, fighting change
• Declining in trust and credibility because they’re really slow compared to news from blogs and social media networks
• Learn about the “New Media” – watc the AgChat Video
What is #AgChat?
• This is the most important takeaway: Join the Conversation
• From 6-8pm MTN time in Utah
• Tip-toe in first, listen + learn…then share
• Twubs.com/agchat click on the links, read, learn the issues
• Get comfortable and eventually participate!
Now, Tell Your FARM STORY
• This is how we can influence the conversation
• Consumers deserve to have farmers answer their questions about food...right?
• How else can you contribute?
• Farmers know what BS smells like…so DISPEL MYTHS
• Start with ONE Social Media tool and get to work
I think and write about leadership.
Search this site: